Do you have a handmade, vintage, or craft item you want to sell on Etsy? Though the thought of setting up a shop can seem intimidating, you can set yourself up for success by following these helpful tricks of trade.
1. BYOB – Build Your Own Brand
Opening a shop on Etsy can seem challenging at first. But building
your own brand can help pave your path to success. Decide what you want your brand to represent and start centering your messaging around that.
You’ll need an appealing logo, banner, and business card to help attract potential customers. Make sure each of these pieces are on brand and on message. Consistency in design is important to build brand awareness and encourage brand switching.
2. Research Your Product
Research is something that’s essential for any e-commerce business. Just because you post your product on Etsy doesn’t mean buyers will invest in it. If you don’t have any sort of strategy, you can’t expect to be successful.
You should research your competition, the industry outlook, and what others are doing to close sales. Doing so gives you a framework for the actions you can take moving forward. Study what successful sellers are doing well and implement a similar strategy. Opening an Etsy shop is a constant learning experience and taking some tips from the experts can help get you on your way.
3. Determine Your Products Demand
Before you open your own Etsy shop, it’s important to determine demand for the product or item you’re trying to sell. Make sure you’re investing your time in a market that’s growing. Consider how many competitors you’ll have and how they’re doing. Accurately estimating demand for your products can help save you both time and money.
4. Define Your Target Market
Who do you want to sell to? Are you targeting certain demographics or marketing towards specific psychographics? Understanding the lifestyles and trends your target market takes on are important in developing marketing strategies and product placement.
Take the time to decide whom you are targeting and the best way to reach and connect with them. Consider how much money they make and whether or not you want to implement a premium pricing strategy.
5. Differentiate From The Competition
What makes your product unique? On Etsy, everyone is trying to make the most profit possible. To succeed, you have to be different. You have to have something that sets you apart from everyone else.
Add a personal touch, share your story, and start connecting with your customers. Continue to build your brand, network with social media, and even build your own website to showcase your products. Doing so will help you get noticed not only by customers but also by blogs, magazines, and newspapers.
6. Remember That Time is Money
Opening your own Etsy shop undeniably takes time. If you don’t dedicate a solid chunk of your efforts towards launching your product, your shop won’t be successful.
You have to put thought into creating and choosing high quality images to help represent your product in the best way possible. Once you decide that, you have to write descriptions that are both informational and desirable. Make it clear to a customer why they should purchase your product over a competitors.
7. Market, Market, Market:
At the end of the day, your shop won’t be successful if you don’t market or promote it. Here are some things necessary for every Etsy marketing plan.
- SEO: Search engine optimization is crucial. With all the information on Google, it’s easy for your items and shops to get buried in the dust. With effective search engine optimization, you can start to get discovered by small niches and increase organic search engine traffic.
- Positive Public Relations and Customer Service: We can’t stress these two points enough. Both are important to growing your business and keeping customers. Take the time to respond to their concerns and always be appreciative of the business they provide you with.
- Guest Posting: As more and more users start signing up for Etsy, it’s becoming harder and harder to get noticed. Guest posting can help with that. It increases your network, gives you more recognition, and expands your exposure.
- Social Media Marketing: Social media marketing is a great way to increase visibility and reach new customers. Connect your Etsy shop with Facebook and Twitter and start engaging and interacting with new customers today.
Hopefully this has helped make the Etsy opening process more manageable and more fun. It’s a great place to get discovered, make a positive impact, and earn income while doing so. Do you have any other tips or tricks to share? If so, leave them in the comments below.